Store-bought granola bars are often heavy on artificial sugars and corn syrup. These gorgeous, all-natural bars are infused with energy-boosting, protein-filled, healthy ingredients.
4 cups rolled oats
1/4 cup flax meal
1 tbsp ground cinnamon
1 tbsp ground nutmeg
1/4 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
2 tbsp roughly chopped almonds
3 tbsp chopped apricots
3 tbsp golden raisins
1 tbsp whole black cardamom seeds
1/4 cup hulled, unsalted sunflower seeds
1/4 cup sesame seeds
1 tbsp chia seeds
3/4 cup canola oil
3/4 cup maple syrup
6 tbsp honey
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Line an 11x11 square baking pan with parchment paper, letting paper hang over about two inches on each side as a handle to lift baked bars.
- In small bowl or ramekin, add chia seeds to canola oil and let soak at least three minutes. (Chia seeds need a liquid host to take on the desired consistency.)
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the remaining wet ingredients with chia seeds and canola oil.
- Grind oats in a food processor, then pour into a large mixing bowl.
- Add cinnamon, nutmeg, and flax meal, and stir to combine.
- Add the wet ingredients to the oats and fold with a spatula until coated.
- Fold in the remaining dry ingredients.
- Pat the granola into the prepared pan, smoothing the top out with a spatula.
- Bake 45 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and cool in pan for 30 minutes.
- Lift parchment-paper handles and lay whole block of bars on a cutting board. Slice into roughly cut bars. Keep in mind that the lack of corn syrup will allow a crumbly, cake-like consistency. Bars can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to one week.