This superfood salad can be a beautiful compliment to other dishes or you can treat it as a meal itself. Change up the ingredients as the season’s produce shifts. Enjoy!
½ cup chopped walnuts
2 cups shredded Brussels sprouts
2 cups shredded Tuscan kale
1 small green apple julienned
1 cup pomegranate seeds
¼ cup hemp seeds
¼ cup unsweetened dried cherries
1 tablespoon chopped shallot
¼ cup lemon juice
1 1/2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
½ teaspoon cumin
½ teaspoon sea salt (or to taste)
¼ teaspoon black pepper (or to taste)
½ cup extra virgin olive oil
1) Preheat oven to 350F. Chop walnuts and toast for 5-8 mins, or until they smell nutty. Let them cool.
2) Finely chop (or use a mandolin) Brussels sprouts.
3) Gently cut the stem from the kale. Roll the leaves and “slice” through or chiffonade.
4) Take a crisp green apple – either julienne or slice thin pieces and chop.
5) Combine Brussels sprouts, kale and apple. Mix so they are combined well. Add pomegranate, hemp seeds and dried cherries. Mix again.
6) Make dressing – either by hand or in a small food processor. Mix all the ingredients except the extra virgin olive oil. After ingredients are mixed well, stream in olive oil until emulsified.
7) Mix the dressing into the salad and massage. It’s best to add dressing before service. Enjoy.